We like these brownies best served cold alongside a cup (or sippy cup) of milk. Add 1/4 cup chocolate chips to make them extra indulgent!
Makes 16 (though you can cut them as large or small as you like!)
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (about 1 very-ripe-with-brown-spots banana)
- 1/2 cup grated and packed zucchini or yellow summer squash, squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour or rolled oats
- 1/3 cup cacao* or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (or melted and cooled butter)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease an 8x8-inch pan with nonstick spray. Place all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor. Process just until combined. Pour into prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Bake for 30-32 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in the pan before slicing. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 5 days and serve chilled.
Variations: To make these nut-free, use the melted butter option. To make these gluten-free, use gluten-free rolled oats. Make into muffins by using a mini muffin tin
Adapted from http://www.yummytoddlerfood.com/blog/2015/7/11/produce-packed-brownies-for-toddlers