Winter Squash Muffins
Super moist muffins with a spiced roasted winter squash batter and a crunchy cinnamon sugar top. Delicious for breakfast or a nice dessert!
- 1 3/4 cups roasted winter squash
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp orange extract, or grated zest of 1 orange OR 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- To make the topping: In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- To roast the squash: Preheat an oven to 400°F. Cut the squash lengthwise into quarters. Scoop out the seeds and discard (no!) or save for roasting later (yes!). Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the squash is tender and can easily be pierced with a sharp knife. Remove from the oven and set aside to slightly cool. When cool enough to handle, peel off the skin, transfer half of the squash to a bowl, and mash with a fork. The mashed squash should measure right around 1 3/4 cups. Wrap up the other half of the squash for another use.
- To make the muffins: In a bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, oil, milk and orange extract and whisk vigorously for 1 minute. Add the mashed butternut squash and beat until completely blended. Add the flour mixture and stir until just evenly moistened. The batter will be slightly lumpy. Using a large rubber spatula, fold in the raisins until just evenly distributed, no more than a few strokes. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them three-fourths full. Sprinkle with the topping, dividing evenly. Bake until the muffins are golden, dry and springy to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. For mini muffins, bake for 10 to 15 minutes. For regular-sized muffins, bake for 20-25 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Unmold the muffins. Serve them warm, with butter. Makes 45-48 mini muffins or 22-24 regular-sized muffins