Winter Squash Chips w/ Rosemary Aioli
These chips make a healthy and delicious treat when served with a fresh rosemary aioli. They are perfect as an appetizer, snack, or even a light vegetarian meal. Any type of winter squash can be used; acorn can be eaten without peeling.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHIPS
- 2 small or 1 large winter squash
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2-3 eggs
- 1/4-1/3 cup milk, cream, or half & half
- Canola or high-heat oil
INGREDIENTS FOR AIOLI
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped rosemary
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 tsp. grated garlic
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. Slice the squash in half, remove seeds, and cut into thin slices.
2. In a small bowl, place the flour and add salt and pepper. In another bowl, add the breadcrumbs. In a third bowl, whisk 2 eggs and a ¼ cup milk or other liquid (add more if needed while breading). Using different hands for the dry and wet ingredients, dip the squash slices in the flour, egg, and breadcrumbs respectively. Place the slices on two oiled baking sheets. Bake the squash until golden, 25-30 minutes (flip halfway through).
3. To make the aioli, mix the mayo, rosemary, lemon, mustard, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe adapted from http://www.earlymorningfarm.com/winter-squash-chips-rosemary-aioli/