Texas Toast Tomato Sandwiches
Heirloom Tomato is a term used to describe any tomato plant that is openly pollinated-by wind and bees-and has been cultivated for more than 50 years. Heirlooms come in many shapes and sizes and can include a large beefsteak tomato or a small cherry tomato, as well as an assortment of colors ranging from red, orange, gold, yellow, purple and green to white.
- 1 package 5-cheese Texas Toast
- 2 pounds assorted heirloom tomatoes
- ¼ cup blue cheese vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoons torn fresh basil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Garnishes: crumbled blue cheese and fresh basil leaves (optional)
1. Prepare Texas Toast according to package directions.
2. Halve larger tomatoes and cut into ¼ inch slices; smaller tomatoes into halves or quarters. Gently toss tomatoes with vinaigrette, torn basil, salt and pepper. Serve over hot Texas Toast. Garnish if desired.
Yield: 6 Servings
Recipe adapted from Southern Living July 2011