Summer Squash Pasta Salad
- 1/2 lb pasta
- 1lb summer squash or zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for the squash
- juice from 1/2 a lemon (approximately 2 tablespoons)
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and immediately toss with the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Let cool, stirring frequently to distribute the olive oil and keep it from sticking together.
2. Grill the squash. Remove the tops and bottoms from the squash, then slice lengthwise into slabs. Place in a bowl and toss with a healthy glug of olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill squash a few minutes per side until just softened with dark grill marks. Don’t overcook! Let the squash cool for about 10 minutes, then slice crosswise.
3. Toss the cheese and herbs with the pasta. Then add the cooled squash. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, or lemon juice if necessary. Garnish the top with fresh parsley and serve.
*Gluten Free Variation – substitute quinoa for the pasta. Cook 1 cup dry quinoa and follow recipe as written.
Serves 4, double for a crowd
Recipe from Early Morning Farm