Squash, Mushroom, & Kale Soup w/ Dill
A vegetarian friendly soup that will use up some of those extra veggies you have lying around.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, stemmed and halved
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks
- 1/3 cup orzo
- 4 cups loosely packed baby kale leaves
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnishing
1. Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms and lower heat to medium. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender and have released their juices, 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Stir in the broth, squash, and orzo and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the squash is tender and the orzo is cooked, about 15 minutes.
4. Stir in the kale until just wilted. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the dill. Serve topped with more dill.
Recipe adapted from http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/squash-mushroom-kale-soup-dill