Shrimp & Penne Pasta with Broccoli
- 8 ounces penne pasta or pasta of choice
- 1 pound large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil of choice
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Cook pasta in large saucepan as directed on package, adding shrimp and broccoli during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain well and remove mixture from pan. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet saute garlic and bell pepper in oil until tender, but firm, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add to cooked pasta mix.
3. Bring half-and-half to simmer on medium heat using the same saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low.
4. Add cream cheese, seasoning and salt; whisk until cheese is melted and sauce is well blended.
5. Return pasta, shrimp, broccoli and sautéed vegetables to the saucepan; toss gently to coat well.
6. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.
Substitute tuna, crabmeat or chicken for the shrimp; for a vegetarian option try tofu or tempeh.
Adapted from Price Chopper Summer Recipe brochure