Shredded Root Vegetable Pancakes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour or alternate flour of choice
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions, onion chives or minced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups assorted root vegetables (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and shredded
- 2 slices cooked bacon crumbled (optional)
- 6 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- Sour Cream for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Whisk egg, flour, scallions, dill, horseradish, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in vegetables and bacon (if using).
3. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
4. Cook 4 pancakes per batch: place about 1/4 cup vegetable mixture in a little of the oil and press with the back of a spatula to flatten into a 2- to 3-inch pancake.
5. Cook until crispy and golden, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes per side.
6. Transfer the pancakes to the prepared baking sheet. Continue with 2 more batches, using the remaining 4 teaspoons oil and vegetable mixture.
7. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Serve garnished with sour cream, if desired.
TIPS & Serving Suggestions: