Roasted Beets & Rice Salad
- 3 beets
- 1/2 cup vinegar, balsamic if available
- 1/2 cup olive oil, or salad oil of choice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon crushed rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup brown rice
- 5 oz Feta cheese (optional)
- 4 cups mixed greens
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Line rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Remove the tops and bottoms from the beets; also the skins using a vegetable peeler.
- Cut the beets into small cubes and place in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Combine the vinegar, olive oil, sugar, rosemary and salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix well and pour or spoon the marinade evenly over the beet, coating thoroughly.
- Place beets in the preheated oven and bake for 40 minues, stirring, flipping and spooning the liquid over the beets every 5-7 minutes.
- Prepare brown rice according to package directions. Add Feta cheese, if available, and roasted beets, once cooled, to cooked rice making sure to save the juice from the beets.
- Mix all ingredients together and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the mixed greens into 3-4 salad bowls. Divide the beet-rice mixture between the bowls and toss; then sprinkle with beet juice from pan and serve.
Recipe adapted from "Pip & Ebby: The multiple personality food blog"