Roast Chicken w/ Fennel & Root Vegetables
- 1 4-pound chicken
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled, quartered lengthwise, then halved crosswise
- 4 large carrots, peeled, quartered lengthwise, halved crosswise
- 2 fresh fennel bulbs, fronds trimmed and reserved, bulbs quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Preheat oven to 425°F. Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Rub chicken with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in center of large rimmed baking sheet. Roast 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss potatoes, carrots, and fennel with remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in large bowl to coat. Crumble oregano in small bowl; mix in garlic powder. Sprinkle all but 1/4 teaspoon oregano mixture over vegetables; toss to coat.
Arrange vegetables around chicken on baking sheet. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/4 teaspoon oregano mixture. Roast chicken and vegetables until cooked through and golden, brushing chicken once with any pan juices and turning vegetables over once with spatula, about 1 hour. Arrange chicken and vegetables on platter; garnish with reserved fennel fronds. Scrape any pan juices into bowl and serve alongside. Makes 4 servings.
Recipe adopted from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/One-Pan-Roast-Chicken-Fennel-and-Root-Vegetables-104957