Red & White Salad
- 2 cups thinly sliced hearts of romaine lettuce (inner core, after removing the outer leaves)
- 1 head of Belgian endive, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 head of radicchio, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 bulb of fennel, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 red apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 radishes, thinly sliced
- Pepper, to taste
- Vinaigrette of choice or try the recipe below!
- Toss romaine, endive, fennel, radicchio, apple, and radishes together in bowl. add vinaigrette and toss. Season with pepper.
- 1/4 cup onion or several scallions, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 olive or salad oil of choice
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine onion, vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a blender. Puree until smooth and creamy. Or, without a blender, combine ingredients and whisk in a medium bowl.
SUGGESTIONS AND VARIATIONS
Belgian endive and radicchio are somewhat bitter. Appropriate substitutes could include mustard greens, escarole, or arugula. To prepare a milder salad, replace the endive and radicchio with spinach leaves and a second lettuce of choice.
Modified from recipe printed in Price Chopper Summer Savings Coupon Booklet