Potato Hash w/ Cooked Greens & Eggs
- 5 cups unseasoned frozen shredded hash brown
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced or substitute chopped scallions or leeks
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced or substitute chopped garlic scapes
- ¼ cup olive oil or vegetable oil of choice
- 2 tbsp. whole grain mustard (optional)
- 1 tbsp. strawberry jam or strawberry spreadable fruit
- 6 cups chopped greens of choice (especially spinach, kale or collard greens)
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper or to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese of choice
- 4 large eggs
1. Place rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450 degrees F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Combine hash browns, onion, garlic, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes.
3. Layer greens evenly over the potato mixture. Roast for 5 minutes.
4. Stir the greens into the potatoes until combined. Continue roasting until the greens are tender and the potatoes are starting to brown, an additional 4-6 minutes.
5. Carefully push the hash into 4 “nests” and make a well, large enough for an egg, in the center of each.
6. Sprinkle ¼ cup cheese into each well; then break an egg over each cheese nest.
7. Bake for 7-11 minutes until the whites are barely set, rotating the pan 180 degrees about halfway through. The eggs will continue to cook a bit more once outside the oven.
Recipe adapted from http:EatingWell.com