Pico De Gallo
Making homemade salsa is quick and easy. It’s also very customizable, start with a base of fresh tomatoes, and adjust all of the other ingredients to your taste buds. A mix of heirloom tomatoes is great for fresh salsa, it makes a bright colorful dish.
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, chopped into a fine dice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro, more or less if you prefer
- 1 – 2 serrano, jalepeno, or other hot peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, grated
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Start by chopping the tomatoes into a small dice, or larger if you prefer. Transfer to a large bowl. Hot peppers can vary widely in spiciness, so you may want to taste them before adding to a dish. Slice off a small piece and taste it before you add a whole pepper to the salsa. One way to reduce the spiciness is remove the seeds before mincing the peppers.
2. Combine tomatoes, onion, cilantro, hot peppers, and garlic in a bowl. Sir to combine. Add lime juice and salt, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Keeps for 1 -2 days. Serve with corn chips or on tacos.
Recipe adapted from http://www.earlymorningfarm.com/easy-pico-de-gallo