Pea Shoot Pesto
Pea shoots, the curly tendrils and budding leaves that take over the vine of the pea plant, are completely edible and taste like peas. They can be used as a base for salad, added to sandwiches and pasta dishes, or made into pesto.
- ¼ lb fresh pea shoots
- 1 bunch chives or scallions, chopped
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil, or salad oil of choice
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts, or sunflower seed kernels (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb cooked pasta of choice
- 1 can tuna, salmon, shrimp or crabmeat, if desired
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender; pulse until a thick paste forms.
2. Toss with cooked pasta and seafood
Recipe adapted from http://wwwcoconutandlime.com.