Mashed Chickpea Salad
An easy to-go lunch filled with loads of protein and fiber! Use this mashed chickpea salad as a topping on chopped salad greens, as a spread on a sandwich, served on crackers, or even plain!
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups of your favorite crunchy vegetables, sliced, diced, or chopped
- 1/4-1/3 cup scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup hummus or mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons mustard (optional)
- Sprinkle paprika on top for added flavor (optional)
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas, place in a medium size bowl and roughly mash with a fork
- Add the remaining ingredients and combine. Add more hummus if you like it creamier and taste for seasoning.
- Serve however you like... make a sandwich, serve on a bed of leafy green, or scoop up with crackers or sliced vegetables like cucumbers, bell peppers, celery sticks, etc.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Recipe adapted from http://www.simple-veganista.com/2012/10/chickpea-salad.html