Mac & Cheese w/ Collards
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or pasta of choice
- 4 cups chopped collard greens
- 1 ¾ cups milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese; Cheddar, Colby, Mexican Blend or cheese of choice
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vinegar; white wine, if available
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil of choice
- ½ teaspoon paprika
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and collards; cook according to the pasta package directions. Drain
2. While pasta is cooking, heat 1 ½ cups milk in a large broiler-safe skillet over medium-high heat until just simmering.
3. Whisk the remaining milk, flour, salt and pepper in a bowl until combined and add to the simmering milk. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and whisk in the shredded cheese, cream cheese and vinegar until the cheese is melted. Stir the pasta and collards into the sauce.
5. Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler to high.
6. Combine breadcrumbs, oil and paprika in a bowl. Sprinkle over the pasta. Broil until golden brown, 1-3 minutes.
Tips and Serving Suggestions:
Try whole-grain pasta, flour and breadcrumbs for a healthier choice. No time to prepare homemade macaroni and cheese, substitute organic, whole grain packaged Mac & Cheese and follow remaining directions as indicated.
Courtesy of Price Chopper Summer Recipe Brochure