Kale with Roasted Beets & Bacon
- 1-2 medium-size beets
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, or salad oil of choice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 bacon slices (about 4 oz), diced
- 1 bunch kale (about 3/4 lbs), cut into 1-inch pieces, removing ends or tough stems
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, apple cider if available
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Trim beets, removing both ends, and place on a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap the beets completely in foil and roast until tender (when fork can be easily inserted into beet); about 1 hour
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon to desired crispness. Remove from pan and drain excess fat on paper towel.
- Increase heat to high and add the kale, coating it with the bacon grease; or pour bacon grease from skillet and add cooking oil of choice. Cover and allow kale to cook for a few minutes before adding the chicken broth and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Stir to combine, replace cover and allow kale to wilt for 6-8 minutes.
- When roasted, cut beets into chunks and add to kale. Stir in the additional 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- Add bacon, stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
Recipe adapted from https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fierikale-with-roasted-beets-and-bacon-recipe.html