A new twist on spinach pie, using hearty greens like kale or chard. Since hearty greens are tougher than spinach, we recommend blanching kale - or cooking it in boiling water for one minute before draining it. This will decrease its volume and make it easier to work with.
- 1 bunch kale or chard (about 1 lb.), chopped, cooked, and squeezed dry
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbles
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- ground nutmeg, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Heat oil in a skillet and cook onion until barely soft, about 5 minutes. Combine cooked onion, kale, and beaten eggs in a medium bowl. Add cheeses and stir, then season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg and stir once more.
3. Pour contents of bowl into greased 8 x 8 inch baking dish, cover with foil, and bake about 45 minutes, or until knife comes out clean. Let cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Recipe adapted from https://michigan.doortodoororganics.com/recipe/crustless_cheesy_kale_pie.