Kale Chickpea Soup
Kale and chickpeas together provide for a rich meal with lots of complexity in terms of both taste and health benefits. This soup combined with a hearty bread could make for a perfect dinner—at least on a cool summer evening!
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large boiling potato, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ bunch of kale, stems and center ribs cut out and discarded with leaves finely chopped
- 3 ½ cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 oz) cup of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1. Cook onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper in oil in a large pot on medium heat, stirring frequently, until onion and garlic soften.
2. Add potato, kale, broth and water and cook, partially covered, until potatoes are tender in 15-20 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low, add chickpeas and gently simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Discard bay leaf and season soup with salt and pepper
Recipe adapted from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/kale-and-chickpea-soup-230979