Hearty Fall Soup
The weather is getting colder and the leaves are changing color. Autumn is in the air. Make a batch of this hearty fall soup and store in the fridge for later or grab a bowl and serve with bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 2 carrots, medium diced
- 1 small onion, medium diced
- 2 cups cubed delicata squash or other winter squash
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken stock, vegetable broth, or water
- 1-2 bunches kale, collard greens, or other hearty greens, chopped
- 1/2 can of chickpeas or any type of bean
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dash of cayenne pepper, if heat is desired
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. add the onion and carrots, stirring occasionally for about 6 minutes. add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the squash, cayenne, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Add the broth and tomatoes with their juice. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the kale/collard greens and chickpeas and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve with bread.