Enjoy this popular and easy-to-make Polish dish for a comforting meal on a cozy fall night. It is delicious both ways, either with beef or cooked lentils. Even better, this recipe can be frozen and reheated as well.
• 2 cups ground beef or cooked lentils
• 1 cup uncooked rice
• 1 bell pepper (red or green)
• 4 garlic cloves
• 1 onion
• 4 tbs. melted butter
• 28 oz. tomato sauce
• 1 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
• 1½ cups water
• 1 tbs. garlic salt
• 2 tbs. black pepper
• 4 cups cabbage
1. Chop the garlic, bell pepper, and onion. Place in a large bowl, and add melted butter, 1 tbs. garlic salt, and 1 tbs. black pepper. Add the uncooked rice and lentils (or beef) and mix well.
2. In a medium bowl, add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, 1 tbs. black pepper, and 1 tbs. garlic salt, and water. Season to desired taste.
3. Spread half of the sliced cabbage on the bottom of a 9x13in pan, enough to cover the bottom. Sprinkle the lentil (or meat) mixture over the cabbage, enough to cover. Add another layer of the remaining sliced cabbage and pour the sauce mixture over it.
4. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 350 F until the cabbage is soft, about 2 hours.
Recipe adapted from [http://www.food.com/recipe/halupki-casserole-stuffed-cabbage-casserole-322531]