Grilled Onion & Romaine Salad
- 1 onion (red, if available), peeled, cut into 4 thick slices
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp All Purpose seasoning, or seasoning of choice
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, quartered (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup Roasted Tomato Aioli
- 2 Tbsp shredded cheese (Mozzarella, Cheddar, Colby, Italian or Mexican Blend)
- Salami, Pepperoni , Ham or Bacon Bits, if desired, for garnish
1. Preheat grill to MED-HIGH. Place onion slices on clean work surface. Coat onion slices with 1 Tbsp oil; sprinkle with 1 tsp of seasoning. Grill onion 4-5 min per side until softened and slightly charred; set aside.
2. Place romaine quarters cut-side down on work surface, rubbing to coat lettuce with remaining oil and seasoning. Grill romaine, seasoned side down, 2-3 min. Transfer to serving plates.
3. Top each romaine quarter with onion and 1 1/2 Tbsp of Aioli. Garnish with shredded cheese and meat bits.
• Can be served composed or chopped and tossed.
• To create an entree salad, top with additional meat.
• In the absence of a grill, use broiler setting on oven.
Recipe adapted from http://www.wegmans.com