Green Bean Slaw
This slaw recipe makes 10 side-dish servings. The cooked beans and dressed mixed vegetables can be made ahead and refrigerated separately overnight. Just be sure to bring to room temperature before serving!
- 1 ¼ lb green beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 ½ tbsp water
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tsp honey
- ¼ tsp celery seeds
- 1 medium carrot, finely cut
- 1 medium parsnip, finely cut (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, finely cut
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped, for garnish (optional)
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the beans until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain, rinse, and pat dry.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the vinegar, water, mustard, honey and celery seeds. Add the carrot, parsnip, red pepper and onion and toss until warmed through, about 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the beans and toss well.
3. Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce and season with salt and pepper. Garnish the slaw with the chopped egg and serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/green-bean-slaw