Glazed Hakurei Turnips
Hakurei turnips are a mild-tasting Japanese turnip. In the summer the turnips will often have the greens attached. The delicate turnip greens are great when cooked, they can be combined with other greens and braised with garlic and olive oil. The roots can be enjoyed cooked or raw.
- 1 bunch baby hakurei turnips
- 2 TBS (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
1. Remove greens and trim ends off turnips. If using larger turnips, cut into chunks.
2. Place turnips in a large skillet and add water to cover turnips halfway. Add butter, sugar, and a large pinch of salt; bring to a boil.
3. Cook and stir occasionally until liquid is syrupy and turnips are tender. It usually takes about 15 minutes.
4. Add turnip greens to skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until just wilted, 2-3 minutes.
5. Season with salt to taste
Recipe adapted from Epicurious: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Glazed-Hakurei-Turnips-368274