Farro, Cherry Tomato & Asparagus Casserole
Farro is a classic old Italian grain. This Italian-style preparation is packed with fresh spring veggies and topped with a little cheese! This recipe makes 4 servings.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups faro, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, shredded
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups half-and-half or light cream
- ½ cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 6 to 8 oz. asparagus spears, trimmed fresh basil leaves
1. Grease or oil a 2-quart baking dish; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 5 minutes or until tender. Add faro; stir to coat. Add stock, salt, and pepper. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until tender.
2. Remove farro from heat. Stir in carrots, tomatoes, and 1/3 cup basil. Cover; let stand 5 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Scrape farro mixture into prepared casserole dish; spread into a thin layer. In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, half-and-half, and cheese. Pour egg mixture over farro mixture; stir to combine.
4. In a small bowl combine bread crumbs and parsley; sprinkle over casserole. Place asparagus spears in a crisscross pattern over the top of the dish. Lightly coat the asparagus and crumb mixture with olive oil cooking spray.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes. To serve, sprinkle with fresh basil. Makes 4 servings.
Recipe adapted from http://www.bhg.com/recipe/farro-cherry-tomato-and-asparagus-casserole/