Escabeche (Mexican Style Pickled Veggies)
1 pound fresh green or yellow beans
5 medium carrots
1 sweet onion
1 large jalapeño (optional)
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon oregano (Mexican oregano if you can find it!)
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1/3 cup canola oil
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
1 tablespoon sugar
salt to taste (start with 1 tablespoon)
1. Slice and chop all of the vegetables and peppers into uniform size. You can slice into strips or rounds. Don’t make the pieces too thick so that they will marinate and pickle easily. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat the canola oil to medium heat. After a minute, add the beans and carrots. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add in the onions and jalapeños. Sauté for another 2 minutes.
4. Add in the bay leaves, oregano, and peppercorns. In a large measuring cup, add the vinegar, water and sugar. Season to taste with salt.
5. Pour into the skillet with vegetables. Stir well and cook on low for 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool at room temperature.
6. Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Will keep for 6-8
weeks. Best if eaten after 24 hours of marinating.
Recipe adapted from [https://pinaenlacocina.com/2017/05/26/escabeche-with-cauliflower]