Delicata Squash & Apple Hash
Delicata squash, apples, onions, and sage are the seasonal ingredients that make this hash deliciously warm and comforting. The traditional potatoes in this breakfast dish are replaced by the versatile winter squash, for a fun take on a classic! With the addition of sausage or tempeh as a protein, this can be served as a main dish in addition to a side.
- 2 delicata squash, peeled, seeds removed, and cut into one-inch chunks
- 2 apples, cut into one-inch chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ pound sausage, or 8 oz. tempeh, cubed
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel, remove the seeds, and cube the squash. Cube the apples and onions as well, and then combine all three onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
2. Toss the ingredients with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Once mixed together, add the sausage (or tempeh).
3. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes, and then remove to stir and add the sage leaves, continuing to cook for another 10-20 minutes. Cook until the sausage is completely done and the apples and squash begin to soften and turn gold in color.
Recipe adapted from http://www.earlymorningfarm.com/delicata-squash-apple-hash/