Creamy Cauliflower and Celeriac Mushroom Soup (Vegan)
This soup is a mixture of two amazing vegetables: cauliflower and celeriac. Their subtle flavors and creamy texture make for a soup that will keep you warm and satisfied!
- 2 large garlic bulbs, roasted
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (2 lb), cut into small florets
- 1 medium celeriac, peeled and cut into 1-in cubes
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, wiped with paper towel
- 1 teaspoon tamari, or apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped chives, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large Dutch oven, or a heavy-bottomed pot, in medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and saute until translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the cauliflower florets, celeriac, water, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Cover the pot, lower the heat to medium-low and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the stems off the mushrooms and discards. Slice them into 1/2-in slices. Spread them on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle some salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Give them a gentle stir halfway through. Set aside.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add in the roasted garlic, and puree the soup with an immersion blender (or food processor or an upright blender) until completely smooth and creamy. Taste for seasoning and add if necessary,
- Pour the now-pureed soup back into the pot, stir in tamari (or apple cider vinegar), and heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve, pour the soup into bowls. Top it off with roasted shiitake mushrooms and garnish with chopped chives.
Recipe adapted from http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipes/creamy-cauliflower-and-celeriac-soup-with-roasted-shiitake-mushrooms/