Creamy Beet & Fennel Soup
Beets and fennel come together to create a bright soup, deliciously served cold or warm. This is a great way to take advantage of the bounty of fall’s vegetables from your CSA! The soup may be garnished with additional fennel seeds and fennel fronds.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 3-4 medium beets (1 lb.), peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup whole milk (or coconut milk)
1. Sauté the onion, fennel seed, salt, and fennel in olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Once the onions are translucent, add beets and salt, and cook until the beets begin to soften (about 5 minutes). Add the stock and bring to a boil, then let simmer and cook until the beets are soft (about 20 minutes).
2. Blend until smooth, using an immersion blender or regular blender. Add the milk by whisking it in. if desired, garnish with toasted fennel seeds and fennel fronds.
Recipe adapted from http://www.earlymorningfarm.com/creamy-beet-and-fennel-soup/.