Chocolate Beet Cake
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for pan
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, plus additional for pan
- 1 cup strong black coffee, cooled
- 1 cup puréed beets (about 2 raw beets)
- 2 cups white whole wheat or spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
1. Prepare beets. Preheat oven to 400°F. Scrub and peel beets then slice into eighths. Wrap in a foil packet and back for one hour or more until a fork easily slides through. Purée using an immersion blender or food processor. Let cool completely.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F
3. Whisk together dry ingredients. Combine cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Use a stand mixer or electric beaters to cream butter and brown sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until light and fluffy. Add coffee and beets to the butter mixture, then mix in dry ingredients. Stir until “just mixed”. Bake for 50 – 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the top comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool then dust with powdered sugar before serving.
5. Serve with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.