Cheesy Leek and Celeriac-Potato Gratin
Use this recipe to give your family a classic dinner while also using a variety of veggies in your Share!
- 1 lb white potatoes, cut into 1/2-in chunks
- 1 head of celeriac, peeled and chopped into 1/2-in chunks
- 3 leeks, washed and sliced into 1/2-in medallions
- 2 oz. cheese (optional)
- 1 teaspoon butter, extra for greasing
- 4-5 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 cups milk
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Boil the potatoes, leeks, and celeriac for 10 minutes in a large heavy-bottomed pot, then drain.
- If oven proof, you may use the same pot to bake the vegetables in the oven. In that case, grease it with butter and set aside.
- To prepare the sauce, place a small saucepan over medium heat. Melt 1 teaspoon butter and lightly fry the garlic. Put in herbs, nutmeg, and pour the milk in. Stir continuously while adding in 4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast. Keep stirring while the sauce reduces, you will need to simmer the sauce for about 15 minutes. Take off heat.
- Place the boiled vegetables in the greased heavy-bottomed dish, cover with the sauce, sprinkle over breadcrumbs, and 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, then bake for 30 minutes. If you wish to incorporate cheese, stir that in with the vegetables.
Recipe adapted from https://onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/cheesy-leek-and-potato-gratin/