Cauliflower, Pea & Edamame Mac & Cheese
A healthy macaroni and cheese recipe packed with veggies and a crunchy breadcrumb topping!
- 1 cup macaroni, uncooked
- 2 cups chopped raw cauliflower florets
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 2 3/4 cup low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. salt, plus a pinch
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Coat a 2 1/2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
2. Cook pasta 1 minute less than time according to package. In the last two minutes, add cauliflower, peas and edamame to cooking liquid. Drain thoroughly.
3. Meanwhile, heat 2 1/4 cups milk in a saucepan over medium heat until steaming, but not simmering. Whisk the remaining milk, flour, Dijon, 1 tsp. salt, and garlic in a bowl.
4. Whisk the flour mixture into the steaming milk and continue heating, stirring often, until the mixture thickens and bubbles, about 4 minutes. Remove from hear and stir in cheese until melted and smooth.
5. Stir pasta into cheese sauce. Transfer to pasta to a serving dish (it will seem very loose). Mix breadcrumbs, oil, paprika and the pinch of salt and top the macaroni with this mix.
6. Transfer to the oven and bake until bubbling and the breadcrumb topping is golden, about 18-22 minutes.
7. Let sit about 10 minutes to cool before serving.
Recipe adapted from: http://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/cauliflower-pea-and-edamame-macaroni