Sweet and savory carrots create the perfect soup for a crisp day or refreshing meal. This dish may be enjoyed warm or chilled. Serve with a crusty loaf of bread, if desired.
- 2 lbs carrots, scrubbed
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and sauté until the onions begin to turn translucent.
2. Add the carrots, ground coriander, ground cumin, crushed red pepper (optional), salt and pepper. Sauté for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the stock then cover pot with lid. Simmer until carrots are tender, about 30-40 minutes.
4. Use a blender or immersion blender to puree the soup (making sure to use caution with hot liquids).
Recipe adapted from www.earlymorningfarm.com.