Carrot & Red Beans
- 2 cups rice
- 1/2 lb sausage (optional)
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pkg 10 oz frozen or 1 ½ cups fresh chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can 10 oz tomato sauce
- 3 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
1. Prepare rice per directions on package.
2. Prepare vegetables: Dice carrots, celery, onion and set aside.
3. Brown sausage, if using, in a frying pan with a tablespoon of olive oil.
4. After sausage is browned, add vegetables: Carrot, celery, onion and frozen diced green bell peppers. Add salt and pepper to taste. Saute for at least 20 minutes on low/medium heat or until carrots are al dente
5. When vegetables are cooked, add diced tomatoes, kidney beans and tomato sauce. Let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes on low and add salt and pepper to taste again, because the beans, tomatoes and sauce will wash out the flavors.
6. When rice is fully cooked, add to the sausage, veggie, tomato mixture. Stir ingredients and let set for another 10 minutes, covered.
Recipe adapted from http http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/main-course-pork/not-your-average-red-beans-rice.html