Cabbage & Noodles (Haluski)
A simple, rustic and traditional dish made with fried cabbage and noodles. This is a delicious recipe with very few ingredients.
Prep time - 10 mins; Cook time - 30 mins; Total time - 1 hour
- 6 TBSP butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 lbs Green cabbage – I use 1/2 large cabbage or one small. Coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Onion -diced
- 1 bag egg noodles (you can use regular egg noodles or no Yolk)
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt –(any salt is fine)
- ½ pound sausage or Kielbasa links sliced. Adding meat is optional
1. In a medium to large skillet, over medium heat, cook onions in 2 tablespoons of butter until translucent. (about 5 minutes). Add 2 more tablespoons butter, cabbage, salt and pepper, cover and once mixture is hot, reduce to medium and cook for ten minutes. The more caramelized the onions and cabbage are the tastier the dish will be.
2. While cabbage mixture is cooking, cook egg noodles according to package direction and drain.
3. Once cabbage is tender, remove cover and add drained noodles. Add remaining butter and cook to bring to serving temperature.
4. Season with additional salt and pepper as desired. (Lots of black pepper is traditional!)
5. Add cooked sausage or Kielbasa if desired.
This recipe is great as a vegetarian side dish or with the addition of meat as a full entrée.