Cabbage, Carrot & Beet Slaw
- 1 pound (3-4) beets, any variety
- 2 medium-sized carrots, shredded or thinly sliced
- Olive or vegetable oil for roasting
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup olive or salad oil of choice
- 2 teaspoons caraway, flax, sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut beets in half or quarters to reduce roasting time. Drizzle with oil and dust with salt and pepper. Bake until tender when pierced with a knife—approximately one hour depending upon size of beets.
2. Cool. Peel beets by rubbing lightly with a paper towel. Cut into two-inch strips and place in a large bowl. Add shredded or thinly sliced carrots and cabbage.
3. Vigorously whisk cider vinegar, mustard and honey in a separate bowl. Gradually beat in oil. Pour over prepared vegetables and mix well. Add seeds, if desired, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
SUGGESTIONS & VARIATIONS:
• Recipe may be halved for smaller quantities.
• If beets are young and tender, may shred or thinly slice raw beets, eliminating Step 1.
• Prepare recipe using beets and either carrots or cabbage; hence Beets and Carrot Slaw or Beets and Cabbage Slaw.
• Substitute commercially prepared vinaigrette or other homemade salad dressing of choice eliminating preparation of suggested dressing.
Recipe adapted from http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-cabbage-beet-coleslaw-66609