Braising is a cooking method using both moist and dry heat. The food is first seared at a high tempurature and then finished in a covered pot with a liquid of your choice. Try this easy recipe with our farm fresh kale or another green in your share! Add the protein of your choice and turn this side dish into a great summer meal.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2-4 garlic scapes or garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- Spring onion or small onion, very finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, vegetable broth, or water
- 1-2 bunches kale, coarsely, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic or garlic scapes (and onions if using) and cook over medium to high heat, stirring about 30 seconds.
- Add the stock/broth/water, then add the kale/greens in large handfuls, letting it wilt slightly before adding more.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook over moderate heat until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Recipe adapted from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/braised-kale-recipe.html.