Bolognese with Carrots & Celeriac
Make this recipe and then serve warm over pasta or polenta. This recipe is a favorite of Farm Share Coordinator, Kate. Incredibly easy, delicious, and makes enough to have some for lunch the next day. Even her 7 year old loves it!
- 1 lb beef or 1 cup lentils, rinsed and sorted + 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry wed wine (optional)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup celeriac, finely diced
- 1 cup carrots, finely diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- Handful of parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons basil, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- About 28 oz tomato sauce
Prepare beef or beans
- For beef: brown ground beef on medium high heat. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon and drain the fat from the pan
- For lentils: Bring lentils to a boil in water, reduce to low, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes, until lentils are tender
- In a large skillet or soup pot, add the olive oil to the pan. Saute the carrots, celeriac, onions, and garlic with a basil leaf and a few parsley leaves until softened, about 8 minutes. Be sure they are nice and tender.
- Add tomato sauce and stir.
- Serve over pasta, rice, polenta, or whatever is your go-to.
Recipe adapted from https://www.earlymorningfarm.com/vegan-lentil-bolognese/