Black Bean Chili w/ Butternut Squash & Swiss Chard
Combine your fresh farm share produce with common household ingredients to create this delicious chili. Perfect for a warm dinner to share with friends and family! Garnish with optional ingredients to complete the meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ½ cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 ½ cups (1/2 inch pieces) peeled butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ½ oz.) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 bunch coarsely chopped Swiss chard or kale
- Chopped cilantro, red onions, plain yogurt, grated cheddar cheese (optional toppings)
1. Over medium-high heat, heat oil in a large heavy pot. Add onions and garlic, sauté until tender (9 minutes).
2. Add squash and stir for two minutes, then stir in chili powder and cumin. Add in beans, broth, and tomatoes (with juice) and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat and let simmer, uncovered, until the squash is tender (15 minutes).
4. Add in the chard (or kale) and simmer until the greens are tender and bright green (4 minutes). Season with salt and pepper, and then serve into bowls. Add any optional toppings, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit, March 2006 via epicurious.com.