Black Bean and Butternut Squash Skillet
This simple and easy to follow recipe can be eaten as a main dish or as a side. Omit the butternut if you have another winter squash such as Delicata or Acorn. Sweet potatoes could also be used! Satisfying, quick, healthy, and vegetarian!
• Juice of half a lime
• 3 tsp maple syrup
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 lb winter squash, peeled and cubed
• 1 small onion, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
• 1 tbsp adobo sauce from a can of chipotles, OR a few dashes of chipotle hot sauce OR a few dashes of chipotle powder
• A handful of cilantro, if desired
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in squash, season with salt, and cover. Cook for 10 mins. Uncover, add in onion and increase heat to medium high. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until the squash is tender and lightly browned. Drizzle with lime juice and 1 tsp. maple syrup.
2. In another skillet, heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add in garlic and cook for 30 seconds then add in black beans, adobo sauce, 2 tsp maple syrup, and ¼ cup water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated.
3. Stir together the squash mixture and black bean mixture. Garnish with cilantro.
Recipe adapted from [http://withlovefromthevine.com/black-bean-and-butternut-squash-skillet/]