Beet, Sauerkraut & Swiss Reuben Sandwiches
This sandwich is great for a quick dinner and goes well with a nice salad. To cook beets, trim leaving ½ inch of their roots and stems intact, place in pot with salted water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender, 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the beets. When the beets are cool enough to handle, use a paper towel to rub off the skins.
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp sweet pickle relish
- 8 slices rye bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 3 small cooked beets, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
1. Combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, and pickle relish in a small bowl.
2. Spread the mayonnaise mixture on 4 slices of the bread. Top with the Swiss cheese, beets, and sauerkraut. Top with the remaining bread, to form the sandwiches.
3. Melt ½ tsp of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook 2 of the sandwiches, covered and turning once, until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining butter and sandwiches.
Recipe adapted from http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/beet-sauerkraut-swiss-reuben-sandwiches