Balsamic Glazed Chickpeas & Mustard Greens
A warm dinner salad that you could also serve as a side dish to up to four people.
- 10 ounces mustard greens
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4-6 tablespoons broth, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1. Remove any large stems from the greens and discard. Tear into bite-sized pieces.
2. In a deep pot sauté the onion in a tablespoon or two of broth until mostly translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and red pepper and another tablespoon of broth and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add the mustard greens, 2T of broth, and cook, stirring, until greens are wilted but still bright green, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the salt, if using. Remove greens and onions from pan with a slotted spoon and place in a serving dish, leaving any liquid in pan.
3. Add the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar to the liquid in the pan (if there is no liquid, add 2T of broth). Add the chickpeas and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the liquid is reduced by about half. Spoon the chickpeas over the greens and drizzle the sauce over all.
4. Serve warm, with additional balsamic vinegar at the table.
Recipe adapted from http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/07/balsamic-glazed-chickpeas-and-mustard.html