Baked Beet Chips
- 12 beets (red, golden, or mixed)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoon celery salt (or sea salt)
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F, and line several baking sheets with parchment paper. (Don’t worry if you do not have parchment paper) Scrub the beets well and cut off the tops.
2. Slice the beets paper-thin (1/16 inch.) When the beet slices are this thin, there is no need to peel them first. I use a mandolin slicer (fancy name for a slicer).
3. Place the beet slices in a large bowl and pour the oil and salt over the top. Toss well. Now let the beets sit in the oil and salt until they release their natural juices, about 15-20 minutes. This is what allows them to retain a better shape and color.4. Toss the beets again, then drain off the liquid. Lay the slices out in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 45-60 minutes until crisp, but not brown. Test after 45 minutes and only bake longer if necessary. Remove the beet chips from the oven and cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.