Apple Broccoli Salad
This simple dish combines the potent, slightly earthy taste of fresh broccoli with the crisp sweetness of ripe apple. Combine the broccoli found in your share with a few spare apples and you have a quick and easy lunch idea. A great choice to rely on after apple picking!
- 1 large broccoli head
- 2 apples
- Spring onion or small onion, very finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, vegetable broth, or water
- 1-2 bunches kale coarsely, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice the stems of the broccoli into 1/8" discs, or as thin as you can manage. When you reach the broccoli's crown, cut off each floret and slice thinly as well. Set pieces in a bowl.
- Halve and core the apples, then place the apples flat side down on the cutting board. Slice the apples into 1/8" pieces and add to the bowl with broccoli.
- Pour dressing over the bowl of ingredients and mix together.
Tip: If you place a plate in the fridge for ten minutes before serving the salad, the salad will stay crisp slightly longer when served.
Recipe adapted from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse-braised-kale-recipe.html